Monday, June 7, 2010

The happenstance of this Wild Bill Hickok book

I was born in Revere, Mass. a small beach town north of Boston. I moved to Naples part time in the 1990's. I took a trip one year back to my beach town, to reminisce while sitting on the sea wall, watching the small waves lapping at the shore line. I felt a tapping on my shoulder, it was a man who asked, "Aren't you Danny Goldstein?" He told me we played football together back in high school, and he told me his name which I didn't recognize nor did I recognize his face. All I remember was the name he told me, 'Joe' something. We talked about what we were doing with our lives. I mentioned that I had been writing children stories. He offered to me the chance to meet with the son of Nathan Bernard. I asked, "Who is Nathan Bernard?" He explained that Nathan Bernard was the side kick of the famous Wild Bill Hickok, during the short time he was in deadwood, South Dakota. A few days later I heard from 'Joe'. He had set up a meet with the old son , James Hickok, and his son Butler.

No comments:

Post a Comment